Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Singapore Tourism | Wiki Update

Hi Travelers,

As some of you may know, I am a short few weeks away from embarking on my journey abroad to Singapore for five days. As I prepare for my trip, I have begun to dive into research on the history and customs of the country, turning to websites like Wikipedia to be single sources of truth. 


In my Wiki search, I noticed that much of the content published was outdated, focused on tourism in 2014. As the 2019 year has not yet concluded and the latest reports are for 2018, I took it upon myself to do some research on the tourism industry in the country and share my insights with the Wikipedia page myself. 


Here is the old entry:
 Singapore attracted 15,095,152 visitors in 2014, according to the Singapore Tourism Board's statistics, but which excludes Malaysian visitors who visited Singapore via the Causeway or the Second Link. This was a 3% decrease from 2013, due to a decline in arrivals from China, Singapore's second largest market. The visitors came from the five biggest markets, mainly Indonesia, People's Republic of China, Malaysia, Australia, and India. But in 2016, People's Republic of China tourists number has overlapped Indonesian tourists number.
As you can see from the old entry, the statistics provided as the latest data are heavily outdated, hence the important refresher. 

Here is the updated entry:  
Singapore attracted approximately 18.5 million visitors in 2018, according to Singapore Tourism Board. This number increased by 6.2 percent from 2017, which likely is due to an increase in arrivals from Asia, USA, and the United Kingdom. Top three markets included visitors from China, Indonesia, and India, due to strong travel demand and increased flight connectivity. Indian travel also escalated due to new cruise offerings from top cruise lines. Overall, 14 out of Singapore’s top 15 markets were able to log growth in the 2018 year and are expected to continue doing so through 2019. Speaking monetarily, increase of tourism receipts was largely due to growth in entertainment, gaming and sightseeing. 
As you may quickly realize after reading this post, the tourism industry in Singapore is spreading like wildfire and increasing every year. I am very excited to immerse myself in the culture during my short time there and hopefully come back with some Wikipedia-able content to share!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Singapore, Singapore, SINGAPORE!

Hey Travelers, For weeks you have been following along as I counted down the days to my departure for Singapore. For those ...