Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Berlin Round Two!

Hey Travelers,

Piggybacking here off of an old post about Berlin, as I just found out I will be headed back to the city in a few weeks! In my last post, I shared a brief overview of my experience there and the sites I visited in my (short) spare time. I’ve done a little bit of a deeper dive into planning my next trip, and wanted to share some insights I’ve gathered from the locals about how to get a true Berlin experience. 

To get a true cultural immersion, I’ve been told to check out the following: 

  • Berlin Philharmonie: The Philharmoniker has been voted year after year as one of the best symphony orchestras in the world. Free concerts are held every Tuesday at 13:00 in the foyer, so if you’re not looking to spend, this has been deemed one you should certainly take advantage of. 
  • Mauerpark Market: Mauerpark Market is located in Prenzlauer Berg and is often compared to a small music festival. There are tens of street food vendors selling a variety of international fare and stalls of musicians running rampant through the streets. Locals say you can find some real artisan products that are rare finds, and if you stay until 15:00, turn to the amphitheater and join in on the daily karaoke! Could be your big break. 
  • Botanischer Garten: This home to 22,000 plant species is a heaven to horticulturalists and gardeners alike. Located in Dahlem, a fairly residential area of Berlin, the park is riddled with extravagant greenhouses and is home to a romantic arboretum. 
While I’ve only researched a few here, all of my digging led me to those three places. Other notable sites were: Hackesche Hofe, Alte Nationalgalerie, Charlottenburg Palace, Olympic Stadium, and Tranenpalast. I’ll be sure to share more as I do some more research in planning my trip, but thought I could share my digging-to-date for anyone who’s got Berlin on their radar too. 

Cheers,

Annika

No comments:

Post a Comment

Singapore, Singapore, SINGAPORE!

Hey Travelers, For weeks you have been following along as I counted down the days to my departure for Singapore. For those ...